For example, every time I visit my parents and show them pictures I’ve taken recently, I’ll hop on their laptop, access my smartphone and copy their favourites so they always have a copy.
This is just one of many useful applications for this feature so without further ado, here’s how to do it!
Step 1 – Turn on Wi-Fi Access
Complete the following steps to turn on Wi-Fi access as well as set up a password to restrict access to your smartphone over Wi-Fi.
- While viewing the home screen, swipe down from the top of the screen
- Tap Settings followed by Storage and Access
- Set the Access using Wi-Fi switch to On
- When prompted, enter a storage access password
- Tap Identification on Network and make note of the Username
Step 2 – Identifying your smartphone’s IP address
Once you have enabled Wi-Fi access to your smartphone, the next step is to identify your smartphone’s IP address so you can connect to it using your computer.
1. While viewing the home screen, swipe down from the top of the screen
2. Tap Settings followed by About
3. Tap the Category bar and select Network
4. Under Wi-Fi, record your IPv4 address
When recording your IP address, you only need to record the first 4 quadrants, i.e. 22.214.171.124. You do not need to record the trailing number, you only need the first four quadrants (the bolded numbers), i.e. 126.96.36.199/22
Step 3 – Accessing your smartphone over Wi-Fi using a PC or Mac OS
Since we have enabled Wi-Fi access to your smartphone and obtained the IP address, all that’s left to do is connect your computer to your smartphone.
How to access a BlackBerry 10 smartphone over Wi-Fi using Microsoft Windows
On your Microsoft Windows computer, select Start followed by Run
If you are using Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, you may need to search for the Run option first. If you cannot find the Run option, open My Computer on your computer’s desktop and type the address mentioned in the next step in the My Computer address bar instead.
Enter the following “\\188.8.131.52\” and replace 184.108.40.206 with the IP address you identified earlier in step 2
1. When prompted, enter BlackBerry for the username and type the Wi-Fi access password you set earlier in step 1
2. Your smartphone file system will appear on your desktop. Select Media to access your smartphone memory or select Removable_SDCARD to access the MicroSD card